Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Hearts and Bono Artisanal Gelato

Lettuce Says,

One of my routes going home from work includes passing through Glorietta and SM Makati.

Almost everyday I pass by this newly opened gelato joint called Bono across Cafe France.


The thing is, I always found myself hurrying home to avoid the long lines at the Ayala van terminal and rush hour traffic. But yesterday, I have drained the battery of my mobile phone having forgotten to bring my charger. So I had no idea what time it is. It was still light outside so maybe I walked at a much slower pace, thus, seeing the 50% off a cup on Ube and Stracciatella flavors.


Whoa?! Was that Jin of jinlovestoeat.com ? Maybe not, it was possible that I was hallucinating since I have read a lot of her blog entries yesterday. Well, I was feeling really un-sociable (as always!) that day that I haven't confirmed if it is her. Soreee!




Upon close encounter with Bono Artisanal Gelato, I found out there's more to them than just the average ice cream.



I decided to try whatever the server was recommending, the Stracciatella, which I couldn't pronounce right and which translates to chocolate chip. It was perfectly frozen. Just enough. The consistency and creaminess was just right. It easily melted, but it was not watery at all. Just right, just right was all my palate could say. The little choco shavings were blended well and had the right crunch, but the taste of the chocolate itself was not that outstanding. It could be better if it was belgian or something darker or sweeter, perhaps?

Cute signage :)
When I saw them making a fresh batch of gelato, I started snapping photos right away.

They are indeed serious when it comes to their gelato. :)


 I believe they brought traditional science in making their gelato, thus the artisanal side. There's a uniformed girl wearing a white chef-like coat with Carpigiani Gelato University on it. I did some research and it was true, a university for making gelato! Now I can better taste and appreciate the effort that they put in to make this no more than 24-hour old gelato.


Okay, seeing heart-shaped everything everywhere means its nearing Valentines, malamang tomorrow na kaya? :) Bono joins the cheesy wagon, for the month of February, they will be giving this heart-shaped waffle chip which, by the way, tastes awesome. 

Sometimes it might be a good thing if you left your phone at home or have a dead batt (just don't lose it! :)). From this, we may learn to stop and smell the roses. For me, it's stop and eat a Bono Artisanal Gelato. Once Sunrise reads this, he'll be thankful I didn't stop far enough to smell the roses at Forever21. LOL

The location was strategic. You can rest your feet and chill here after a whole day of shopping or to tame a ruly kid by ice cream or just to plain people-watch like what I did. 

In the short time that I was relishing my gelato, most of the customers I saw were friends of the manager and the staff. They were buying tubs and tubs of ice cream, which was great, but I do hope they can tap that strong stream of people passing by. I'm trying to analyze it (no harm in trying! :)) and it might be because of the absence of the actual ice cream display (that will attract bees to honey) which was perfectly acceptable since it is a vital part in making their gelato, to keep it from light, air and varying temperature. In replacement of that, it might work if there is a big menu display with photos and details of each flavor which may intrigue the passers by to slow down their pace and have a scoop.

I saw lots and lots of people passing by who are a lot like me on a normal day. Trying to go home as fast as I can, to have dinner with our loved ones. Before you know it, in the coming days, maybe with a delish gelato tub in our hands.  :)

February 2013
Bono Artisanal Gelato
2nd Level, SM Makati

*All articles and photos posted are owned by LettuceandSunrise and should not be copied and/or used without prior written authorization from us. You can always SHARE our posts with the applicable trackback by putting the corresponding links. We will also do this ethical act for other people's posts, websites, and photos that we want to share on this blog. This is a personal blog. Like a diary or journal, all the views, insights, and opinions written here are solely based on our own point of views and belong to ours alone and not of the companies we are part of. Information may not be accurate and may only be applicable at the exact time and situation we experienced it. We will not liable for any errors in this information or any losses or damages arising from its display or use.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts with Lettuce and Sunrise of My Empty Plates