Friday, January 15, 2010

Marriott Café @ Marriott Hotel Manila

Nov. 2009


Lettuce Says,


I saw an ad from a newspaper about a 50% off on lunch and dinner buffet during weekdays in a newly opened 5-star restaurant (Marriott Hotel Manila). I excitedly told Sunrise that I want to dine there since I haven't experienced eating a buffet in a hotel, well except on weddings. I got the craving for a buffet when I watched an episode of Survivor Palau Philippines where Mika and Amanda ate heartily in a hotel. Sunrise then invited his friends to join us one Friday night. But only Jules confirmed and his date didn't manage to come. He called the Hotel for a reservation like 2 weeks before our trio date. But, when he called again to check (a day before), he was told that our reservation was cancelled because of a VIP thing and we landed on the waiting list. Not wanting to ruin our buffet date, we patiently wait for our turn. The stressed out lady with the very-important-reservation list with her didn't give me a number or even get our names. I thought she has this high memory mind to know the order of people like us who are on the waiting list. But after an hour of waiting, I noticed that foreigners who didn't have the very-important reservation had managed to get way past us. I can't help being awed (I'm sarcastic, okay?) by the hospitality shown to us in our own country. I then asked her if how soon can we be seated, she answered that we were absolutely next in line.

A little past 9, we were (at last) ushered to our seat while a woman who is actually a hotel guest (can't help but overhear) gave her complaints to the manager (that's why we didn't talk to the manager anymore)


I know this is supposed to be a blog about food but of course the pre-dining experience counts (very much).

The buffet boosts of Indonesian, Chinese, Japanese, and Western dishes. The table closes at 10 so we really had only 1 hour to eat. I loaded my plate with everything that I think I would like.


My First Plate
Shrimp - cold and tasteless, I couldn’t find a vinegar dip (my personal liking)
Steak - tasteless as it is but yummy with their gravy
Sashimi - almost can't swallow it, the slices were too thick
Kani and Maki - loved it
Cordon Bleu - yummy
Veggie Pizza - yummy
Pasta - yummy
Beef something - ok
Salad - made my own with deli ham and Thousand Island dressing (loved it)

I tasted a bit of everything and ended up liking only the chocolate mousse. Sunrise willingly polished my dessert plate.

I came back for more of their potato fries and fresh fruits which I loved dearly.


Our check arrived with a little over PhP2000 for the three of us. It should have been really worth it if we were seated sooner than expected. I’m hoping for a better Marriott Café next time we drop by.


Sunrise Says,


When you're a dining enthusiast, eating in a five star hotel is definitely a must. The fact that they serve not the common and typical food already made my belly grumbling.  The accommodation, ambience and the whole service must be like eating in heaven.


The food was good.  I liked the variety of ham they served.  The potatoes were roasted in butter and tasted like it was baked, that's a "wow" for me. I ate most of the food in the buffet but that was all I remembered. I cannot even count in my fingers, both hands and feet, how many dishes I took to my table through my plate, but those two really were the only ones I remembered.

Let us not forget the desserts. The desserts were fine, but if I would be eating chocolate mousse cakes, I'd rather go for Red Ribbon.

When you say Marriott, stars definitely pop in your mind, like Tom Cruise and Penelope Cruz (Cruise)... Oh, they were never married, right?  Thinking that, this would be definitely an experience to remember, definitely I'm in, but like Tom to Penelope, Marriot was not meant for me, sorry.


*All articles and photos posted are owned by LettuceandSunrise and should not be copied and/or used without prior written authorization from us. You can always SHARE our posts with the applicable trackback by putting the corresponding links. We will also do this ethical act for other people's posts, websites, and photos that we want to share on this blog. This is a personal blog. Like a diary or journal, all the views, insights, and opinions written here are solely based on our own point of views and belong to ours alone and not of the companies we are part of. Information may not be accurate and may only be applicable at the exact time and situation we experienced it. We will not liable for any errors in this information or any losses or damages arising from its display or use.

Follow and Like us:
Follow us on instagram @engrlettucehttps://www.facebook.com/MyEmptyPlatesTwitter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts with Lettuce and Sunrise of My Empty Plates