Sunday, January 19, 2014

Lettuce Goes on a Diet: Week 1


Lettuce Says,

All the celebrations had left a lot of us this bloated and heavy feeling of guilt over much indulging to overly yummy albeit fatty and sweet holiday treats. With the coming of the new year, new resolutions were made or recycled from the previous year. Two of my vows were to lose some of this weight and update this food blog at least once a week. Diet and trying new foodie places seemed like the north and south poles.


#sarapkumain #hirappapayat
Upon returning back to the daily grind at work, I felt really heavy and reluctantly switched to a lighter fare for breakfast and lunch. I was a member of the breakfast club (rice and ulam for agahan club) last year.  But come dinner, the only meal I can share with hubby Sunrise, we both can't resist eating a full meal with cupfuls of these white friends called rice. I knew in myself I needed to jumpstart my weight loss goal right away. I contemplated jumping onto the bandwagon of juice diet as instagram feeds show a lot of these green bottles downed by celebs and fans alike. But the price of PhP 250-300 per bottle was way out of our budget (#lagotakokayjowa), imagine this would cost P1k/day?! That's food for two Filipino families already! Just saying it's not for me, but if you can afford it I think it's worthy of a try. Maybe if I get some unexpected of a bonus soon, I might try it or if we can afford to buy those power juicers, that would be more practical. I also thought of those 1200-calorie diet delivery service which is kinda affordable at 300 per day for 3 meals and 1 snack. But I really would love to save some extra moolah, so I'll make do with my own calorie counting diet which is cheaper and more flexible.

My ever-supportive colleagues at work, aka The Peeps, also felt the need to go on a healthy diet, thus, to motivate each other, we made the game "Biggest Fat Loser!" The prizes up for grabs are bragging rights, the biggest loser fund (shopping for me!!! I'm gonna win I knew it!) but most importantly your new improved and sexy body!  The  winner will be determined by the % weight lost over a period of 1 month. It might seem very short but we decided to be realistic, since work around the office is piling and becoming more challenging, we might not last longer than that. LOL :)


So let me share to you guys my personal journey to a lighter, more active Lettuce these past week. A lot of you may be sick of my #lettuceonadiet hashtags in IG :)


Weigh In: 72 kg, huwaaaat??!!!! *panics*

This is my heaviest weight so far in my entire existence! At 5'6" of my height I am noticeably looking bulkier, I was in better shape last year due to fear of not fitting in my own wedding gown. I had so much promise that time, I went to Zumba class and ate no rice for a month.

Week 1
I resurrected my calorie counter account at My Fitness Pal. Good thing they have an app now for my iPad! You should check it out! For a sedentary life like mine, I have a limit of 1,200 allotted calories for food intake, extras will come from calories burned during a workout. According to them, a healthy weight loss goal is to lose 1kg per week.

Here is a detailed rundown of what I ate during the first week.


Walter's Sugar Free Wheat Bread
Photo from Walter Bread Facebook Page


Day1:
I always have half cup of coffee with a teaspoon of brown sugar upon waking up and 1 cup of cappuccino in the afternoon. This is a far cry from my usual 4 cups per day average.
Breakfast: 2pcs Walter's Sugarfree wheat bread, boiled egg, Laughing Cow cheese wedge, half cup of cappuccino.

I love Walter breads because it's very light on the tummy and have this simple clean taste perfect for my weight loss goal.

Lunch: Chopsuey from our cafeteria, medium-sized banana, a bite (or two or three, sorry...) of Sunrise's lasagna roll-ups from Banapple, and a glass of their homemade iced tea


Tell me who in their right mind can say no to this? *cries*
Snacks: Skyflakes Fit (they definitely improved their taste, because last year it tasted like brown carton :) ), half cup instant cappuccino
Dinner: 2pcs Wheat bread and cheese wedge
After-work exercise: 25 minutes walking

Day 2:
Breakfast: half cup coffee with sugar
Lunch: Snickers fun size chocolate bar ( yeah absolutely bad but I was feeling really fatigued and hungry my hands are shaking and there's no other food on our cupboard :( )
Pinakbet, medium banana


Pinakbet
Pinakbet
Snacks: 4 links Libby's sausage, 2 pcs wheat bread, Skyflakes Fit, half cup cappuccino (yeah I was so hungry because I skipped breakfast, so lesson learned)
Dinner: chicken curry breast part, white meat only, 1 slice wheat bread

Day 3:
Breakfast: 1 cup Nescafe 3in1 orig, Skyflakes Fit
Lunch: 2pcs wheat bread, 1 slice leftover Adelina's ham with a trimming of fat, half cheese wedge
Snacks: 3 links Libby's sausage, 1 pc wheat bread, half cheese wedge
Dinner: 2 slices Pinoy Tasty white bread (ran out of wheat bread), half a can of Century Tuna solid in Veg Oil, 1 glass of Nestea iced tea, half bite of belgian chocolate (cant resist! 35 calories lng naman eh, yun lng puro sugar :) )
After-work exercise: 20 minutes walking, 50 minutes swimming moderate freestyle
It was the first time in weeks that I went swimming again, I felt my calf muscles reacting a little. But it felt good to be active. Made me (and my cellulites) real happy :)


Swimming Lettuce
Swimming Lettuce
Day 4:
Breakfast: 1 cup nescafe 3in1 orig, Skyflakes Fit
Lunch: 1 cheese pesto pandesal from Pan De Manila (Yummy tasted soo good), 1 hard boiled egg, medium banana
Snacks: Medium frozen yogurt (yummy even without any toppings) from Red Mango


Red Mango's Plain Yogurt Goodness
Thank Goodness for frozen yogurt, solution to ice cream cravings. :)

Dinner: Sinigang na Bangus Belly from a foodcourt, this was a very wrong move, my stomach ached because of too much acid from the sinigang, I crumpled in pain :(
Late Snacks: Sunrise got angry with me so he made me eat again, so I had Lucky Me Pancit Canton (coz of limited items on our cupboard) and Swiss Miss Hot chocolate to soothe my tummy.

Day 5:
Photo from Walter's Facebook Page
Breakfast: coffee (since its a Saturday I woke up late so no need for breakfast!
Lunch: fried tilapia from a Jollyjeep, medium banana
Snacks: 1 cup of Allie's garlic peanuts, and 1 belgian chocolate :) while watching a movie
Dinner: 1 cup ginisang pechay from jollyjeep, half can of Purefoods Star corned beef, 2 pcs Walter's whole wheat raisin bread
Exercise: 50 minutes elliptical trainer, no choice because we do not have any jogging path here, only an outdoor fitness corner which includes this, and a pool. Good thing about the elliptical trainer, it targets the whole body giving you almost the same calorie burning capability of running. 

Day 6
Breakfast: 2 slices wheat raisin bread, coffee
Lunch: half can of Ligo sardines, 1 slice wheat bread
Snacks: half ear of corn on cob with little margarine from sidewalk vendor outside Sacred Heart Church, Skyflakes Fit
Dinner: Pecho Inasal from Bacolod Chicken House (review write-up soon!) sooo hard to eat without rice :(


Bacolod Chicken House Pecho Inasal
Bacolod Chicken House Pecho Inasal
good thing there's ripe mango!
Late Snacks: starving by 10pm so I prepared Milo hot malt drink with Bear brand powdered milk
Exercise: 50 minutes elliptical trainer. Downside was my muscles were screaming for help! 

Day 7    
Breakfast: 2 pcs wheat raisin bread, a cheese wedge
Lunch: Chicken breast in red sauce from the cafeteria
Dinner: 2 pcs wheat raisin bread, haf cup of Nissin seafood noodles, 2 slices of Tulip pork luncheon meat
Snacks: 2 pcs fried bean sprout lumpia which I ate without the oily fried wrapper, one bite of strawberry filled Dunkin Donut
After-work exercise:50 minutes on elliptical trainer, I literally walked to work limping because of my hard swollen muscles. Salonpas saved me. I haven't dared going back to swimming because of our cool Tagaytay weather, the water's freezing cold!

Don't worry guys, I'm still alive! I went to the usual mood swings (warned Sunrise early on) which is a natural symptom of rice withdrawal, but I haven't gone overboard to buying friends and clubs ;) More side effects were like I became too sensitive to the cold weather and I had a hard time sleeping early. But yes I successfully maintained my calorie limit! Although honestly, my meals were not healthy and consisted mostly of inexpensive but processed food which are very high in sodium and negligible nutrients.  Don't imitate bad habits guys. My Fitness Pal helped me a great deal in monitoring my calorie intake daily. It's definitely my Weight Loss Pal.

Week 1 Weigh In: 69 kg (A whooping 3 kgs! Soo happy, well, it is surely mostly water, but still it's a great jumpstart right? hehehe)

The next question is, kaya mo pa ba ang 2nd week Letsugas? 

Successfully emptied Red Mango's Plate/Cup/Bowl? !!! What a feat while on a diet! :)


#myemptyplates
Share yours now! Hashtag #myemptyplates peeps.

January 1st week 2014
Lettuce Goes on A Diet
Normal Working Days, Makati City, Philippines
PhP 0-200 per day (tipid diba? :) )


*All articles and photos posted are owned by LettuceandSunrise and should not be copied and/or used without prior written authorization from us. You can always SHARE our posts with the applicable trackback by putting the corresponding links. We will also do this ethical act for other people's posts, websites, and photos that we want to share on this blog. This is a personal blog. Like a diary or journal, all the views, insights, and opinions written here are solely based on our own point of views and belong to ours alone and not of the companies we are part of. Information may not be accurate and may only be applicable at the exact time and situation we experienced it. We will not liable for any errors in this information or any losses or damages arising from its display or use.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts with Lettuce and Sunrise of My Empty Plates